Life Skills Programme (First Steps)Our life skills programme is the first of three stages our trainees can access. It lays the foundations of confidence and self esteem so all of our learners feel empowered to move into a working environment.
– Parent of Andy, who attended Steps’ Life Skills Programme alongside mainstream education.
NOTE: As each learner is an individual and may progress quicker or benefit from more time, we don’t restrict our programmes by age.
Our life skills programme covers:
- Functional numeracy and literacy (everyday skills)
- UK qualifications from ASDAN, a portfolio based (no exams or coursework) curriculum which we adapt to each trainee’s interests
- Social and emotional wellbeing (self-esteem, confidence, self-advocacy building, understanding and managing emotions)
- Teamwork, communication skills, problem solving skills, social interaction
- Mentorship from trainees in the Preparation for the Future Programme.
The learning environment
We’ll take the time to get to know the interests and abilities of your family member, then structure their work around those areas to maximise engagement and motivation. Once we’ve established a trusting relationship with them, we’ll work on the things they find harder.
If you would like to keep your family member at a mainstream school part time alongside our life skills programme, let us know. We can take a flexible, learner centred approach.